Fall Pest Prevention time has arrived. This spring one of our techs was asked by a frustrated homeowner to get rid of a mouse nest in her grill. Most of us have a pest that we hate and for this homeowner, it seemed to be mice. She shared that she had been sick recently and she was afraid of picking up another infection by eliminating this mess. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This year particularly, as we have spent more time in our homes this summer, it is especially important to prevent pests from overwintering in your home this year.
Five tips for Fall Pest Prevention
It is now time to make sure that your home and environment is safe for the winter so that pests stay out of your home and your summer items. Here are five tips for fall pest prevention that you can do yourself.
- Inspect your home for any new cracks or gaps around pipes or windows and the like. Remember that the new project you started in May? You know, it was the one you did not finish completely by sealing around the hole that you drilled for the conduit you put in. Make sure that all gaps are sealed.
- Get rid of clutter and debris around the outside of the house, but also in your home and your garage. We have all been home more this year and kids especially have left debris around. Including under the refrigerator and inside the family room sofa.
- Make sure debris outside of the home is cleaned up. While it is tempting to have firewood very close to the house for January, resist that temptation and keep it at least 20 feet away for the house and is on a rack off the ground.
- Put away all summer furniture or cover it with tarps that will keep pests away. Cover that grill for the winter so that pests are not tempted to get inside to nest and clean out the trap and any debris inside of the base that can be used for nest creation.
- If you are bringing in items from outside for the winter, make sure you are not bringing pests inside with them. Clean off all items before putting them away.
If you follow these simple steps, you can go a long way towards preventing pests from invading your home.
Boo’s Bug Stoppers can help
As you inspect your property, consider hiring a pest control company to perform quarterly personalized coverage. You might well see evidence of pests inside already. We can help. At Boo’s Bug Stoppers we specialize in providing homeowners peace of mind as we treat your home with the same care that you use yourself. Contact Us today for a free estimate of our services.